GUIDE & TIPS: OSLOB WHALE WATCHING TO OSMENA PEAK ADVENTURE
The Whale Encounter! 🤗
Locally known as “tuki” or “butanding”. The whale shark (Rhincodon typus) is the largest fish in the world. How amazing! According on what I had read, those whales has a mouth contains around 300 tiny teeth although the function of these is unknown.
This is one of the nice tourist destination and Oslob is mainly known for this. Aside from the great views and beaches found in the place encounter with the giant whale is one of the very highlight of their travel that would they considered a great adrenaline experience. For me, it was!
Oslob is a fourth income class municipality in the province of Cebu, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 26,116. In the 2013 election, it had 18,283 registered voters. It is part of Cebu with an area of 134.8 km². From South bus to Tan awan, Oslob for whale watching would usually take 3-4 hours depeding on the traffic.
HOW TO GO THERE:
- Ride a bus from the South bus Terminal headed to Bato Oslob. (P165.00- fully air-conditioned and FREE WiFi)
- Tell the driver that you want to be dropped at Oslob for Whale Watching.
- You will be dropped at the BRIEFING STATION
** You can go directly at the briefing station for orientation if you have friend who will be a watcher for your belongings. There is also a free shower at the area. In there, of course, there will be a short orientation before swimming or whale watching for safety purposes
A lot of foreigners were on the area, waiting for their boatmen and others were still listening for the orientation. ( Americans, French, Koreans and Chinese and there are even kids – those are some of them I saw at the area)
All faces were excited. Who wouldn’t be? You are about to witness one of the gigantic creatures in the sea. Exciting! WHoooH!
PHOTOS WE HAVE
It was indeed a great and awesome experience. The creator is so great that you made it wonder how amazing He was because hes creation are all beautiful and amazing!
- While swimming, DO NOT TOUCH THE WHALE. They are still considered as a dangerous creature. However, the whales at OSLOB are surely harmless. Still, you still have to be careful
- OBSERVE 4m away from the whale
- DON’T PANIC: If you notice that the whale is too near from you, don’t panic and just give way for them, they are harmless and will NOT eat you.
- APPLYING LOTION OR SUNBLOCK IS PROHIBITED. This is because it has toxic that may damage the sea creatures.
- There are marine biologist in the area who are assigned to watch over and if you are caught, a charge of P2,500 or an imprisonment for 6 months
NOTE: Swimming with the whale will only take 30-45 minutes
TIPS FOR A TRAVELLER:
- Don’t overpack. Bring only what is needed.
- Be watchful in your belongings.
- Smile and be friendly. Have a small talk with the locals.
- If you are not sure or confuse, don’t hesitate to ask.
- If you are a foreigner or even a solo backpackers, don’t hesitate to ask.
SO HERE’S THE DETAIL OF OUR OSLOB ADVENTURE
- The Driver dropped us at MB’s Sunrise View Resort
- It is just a walking distance from the BRIEFING STATION
Pay P100. If you brought a lot of baggage, this resort has a locker where you can put all belongings plus they provide unlimited use of the shower room or swimming at the beach.
- They are selling foods and drinks as well.
- Pay charges for whale watching. They will provide a service car to send their customer directly to the BRIEFING STATION and they will all the way pay the charges ( it is the amount you paid at the resort for the whale watching) They will wait for you until you’re done swimming and will head you back to the resort which is just a walking distance from the Briefing station
Ate Mercedes is the one of the person in charge at the Resort and she was so friendly, hospitable and so approachable both for locals and foreigner. She gave me the list of the charges if ever someone would like to have a room where she can stay.
If all does not fit here, then you have to put your staff inside off the dining room.
Here is the prices given to me in notes by ate Mercedes from the resort we stayed:
Whale watching: ————— P300.00
> Diving with the Whale ( for locals): — P500.00
> for foreigners) : —————– P1,000.00
> Under water cam rental:———— P550 .00 (pic will be saved in CD or in your USB)
> Stay at resort with unli shower, free use of CR and beach swimming P100.00
> If you want to use their pool: ——P50.00
Forgot your swim wear? They sell swim wear souvenir and slipper as well at the resort.
- There is no nearest ATM station in that area. The nearest one will take at least 10-15 minutes – you can ask the receptionist for the nearest ATM station or you can ride a habal- habal from the resort that will bring you to the ATM station and withdraw some cash.
After our encounter with the great gigantic whale, we got our CD where all our pictures or videos taken by our boatman are saved. You can also ask the receptionist to have those files and pics saved in your own memory card or USB. It is already included free for renting their underwater cam. NOTE: they cannot send or pass it through your iphone phone.
We decided to have swimming then we ate our lunch before we checked out.
After swimming, we decided to take lunch at the resort. There foods are just affordable. Pocket friendly 🙂
The day was still long and after lunch we headed to Osmeña Peak for hiking the highest peak in Cebu where in we rode a ceres bus headed to Dalaguete from Oslob. They will bring you at the registration office first.
There is so much of life that it offers great and wondersful things and places. From our encounter and experience, we are tired yet grateful.😊
PS: FEEL FREE AND SHARE YOUR OSLOB EXPERIENCE. 🙂